Turning my diagram into a model

Following my draft diagram feedback, I was challenged by Adesola to create a visual model or artefact of some description that represented the diagram element of the module I had already submitted. She explained that creating this may allow me to explore the ideas further of where my practice connects and use the visualisation of the model to identify this. As a self identified visual learner, I was excited at the prospect of this challenge as I believe it would help my significantly in dissecting and looking at all the elements of my practice.  

Following the conversation with Adesola I sat down to think more about how to lay this out as I wanted to ensure that the model I was creating was in some way reflective of my practice, or used a method that would be recognised and could grow and expand sufficiently. I had taken time to think about my initial diagram submission and an appropriate format that I could clearly show all the elements, but that also resonated with my and my professional practice and wanted to ensure my model followed the same ethos.

A specific metaphor was used at the very early stages of my journey on Module One during a Skype session. The theory that our professional practice could present itself as a 'constellation' of experiences. My vision of the word 'constellation' propelled me into thoughts on how it linked to my practice, and how the theory that constellations form a "group of associated or similar people or things" (Oxford Dictionary, 2018). After exploring my experiences that have added and built to my professional practice I could see that my practice does not necessarily sit in a chronological format, but more that it is like a variety of experiences that all connect and can create associations to each other. Therefore this metaphor seemed appropriate to use as a model to further develop my diagram.

Then my task of buying materials began: I invested in a variety of different polystyrene spheres that I could use to represent the elements in a planet style format and wooden sticks that could be manipulated to create different lengths and could be used to connect ideas and theories togethers. I then began to build my model using flags to represent the smaller areas and images to represent influences. 

The process of building the model made me not only think further about how all my experiences connect together and have built my professional practice, but it also allowed me to see the areas that were 'heavier' with elements and had been built up. These were predominantly previous experiences, whereas current practice had more room for me to develop and build upon. Having the visual of the model really helped me to visual and contextualise my practice and connect with the metaphor that I feel my professional practice is a constellation of experiences that all shine in their individuality yet also connect and from their connection can create new and exciting images and prospects.



Comments

  1. Hi Andrew
    I am a returning student to the BA Professional Practice course after a study interruption. I have been catching up on blogs and really enjoyed your process. Although I do not think of myself as a visual learner your image and concept of the constellation caught my attention and made me what to read your blog. I think it is something I should work on to add interest to my work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts