My Preface

A slightly delayed post...Last week I was part of a Skype call which has a Module Three focus. I chose to attend this Skype session as I was very interested to hear the thoughts of some of the people in Module Three and felt listening to what they were discussing in the call would give me a vision and understanding of the inquiry process which I hoped would help me further my understanding of the construction and planning element of my inquiry.

The chat was insightful and it was fantastic to hear discussion between Adesola and those in Module Three. It allowed me to listen to how they were conducting their individual inquiries and raised questions within my own planning. As they spoke about the elements and practicalities of their process it encouraged me to think more within what I was going to do to gain the greatest possible understanding of my topic.

During the call Adesola challenged us all to think of our inquiry process as a story. Thinking about it as a beginning, the middle and the end.

The beginning - The thought processes and ideas of why we decided to conduct the inquiry on the topic that we did and reflection on how we have come to the decisions we've made. This also feeds into the process of planning and what we decided to select as research and discovery and the practicalities of doing this 

The middle - The process of executing the inquiry and the discoveries that we made by completing the task we set out to do.

The end - The analysis process, thinking about what we had found and how we were able to use this data and information to conclude or make discussion that reflected the overview and intention of our inquiry. 

I found this analogy really helpful, particularly with identifying where I am right now in the process of my story. Currently I would identify myself in the beginning of my story, or as I am beginning to see it my 'preface'.

We were also asked to explain our story to each other with a nominated participate explaining the story back to the group how they interpreted the explanation. This exercise was particularly helpful to me and I felt highlighted the importance of how we communicate and articulate our discussion. I particularly find that I can write in a manner where I unconsciously assume that everyone reading has an understanding of my practice and therefore sometimes rush past things that probably need more explanation. This is something I took then applied when reading my Module Two work questioning whether my discussion was clear and could be understood by those both in and out of my professional practice.


Image source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/P-GFsjg1Itw/maxresdefault.jpg


Comments

Popular Posts