The Journey


A slightly delayed blog...Last week I was involved in a Skype discussion which was open to all Modules. It was really great to share the time with everyone, particularly to hear opinions and discussion from varying modules.

Whilst I am in the thick of gathering my data and looking through all the literature that I have reviewed, it was great to talk to others and remind me of the journey that I have taken so far throughout the programme.

Reflection is something that I have conducted throughout the programme, particularly within Module One. It is also a skill that I exercise and use within my teaching practice on a regular basis, using theories such as Kolb's Learning Cycle to review and reflect on the effectiveness of my teaching practice. It is also something that, whilst my mind is floating around various literature and is being challenged with many different opinions and experiences to further my understanding of my topic of gender, reminds me to bring it back to where it all began. My professional practice.

We are all blessed within the programme to have documentation such as our blogs, notes, maps to that we can use as physical reminders of the thought processes and development that we have made. I have found it extremely beneficial to use all of these sources of documentation to remind myself of the journey I have taken so far and where that journey has led me.

I found this a great reminder to ensure that I am constantly broadening my understanding of the landscape around my inquiry topic, but also using the knowledge I am constantly gaining and experiences I am hearing about and constantly placing it back into perspective of my practice.

Many years ago I created a piece of choreography entitled 'Wayfaring Stranger'. The concept of the piece was to highlight and celebrate my view that 'success is a journey, not a destination'. This theory is something I can very much relate to with where I am in the programme, and I believe relates to the idea that the questions we raise are more beneficial than the answers we hope to find.

'Wayfaring Stranger' (2014)
https://vimeo.com/103462804


photo source: http://potentialunleashed.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/The-Journey.jpg
video source: https://vimeo.com/103462804 (Filmed by Smudge Production, Choreography by Andrew Waldron, Music by Ed Sheeran)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts