Are we promoting unrealistic prospects?

Following my formative feedback on my essay, I have been thinking further into ethical considerations and how to look at something with an unbiased opinion. Whilst scrolling through my social media feed the other day, a particular article caught my eye and challenged my view on these;

"Ofsted Chief, Amanda Spielman - 'Arts courses offer unrealistic career prospects for young people'"

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/ofsted-chief-arts-unrealistic-career-prospects/

Spielman suggests that there is a 'mismatch' ratio between the amount of students studying arts courses and the amount of successful candidates gaining employment or opportunities in this chosen field. She also suggests that students are being given 'false hope' as there are far fewer job opportunities available for this specific field in comparison to the sizes of cohorts on arts courses. Claims that teaching hours for staff have been cut and that there has been a 'narrowing' in curriculum offered also suggests that arts education is slowly shrinking and becoming less effective within education.

Within my professional practice I find that we are extremely governed by validating bodies and external organisations and run by their recommendations on how to deliver courses and ensure quality in training and teaching. From my experience, I have always found that a vast majority of teachers and educators within arts either have been, or a still currently working as successful practitioners and therefore have a realistic understanding of employment opportunity and can clearly explain to learners the expectations of the industry.

But do people purely enrol on arts educational courses with the same outcome in mind? The BAPP ACI course has encouraged me to challenge my thoughts and promotes that questions lead to more questions and that our professional practice is a combination of experiences and attributes that lead us onto further attributes. Is this a skill that is taught through artistic expression and nurturing of creativity that can transfer to any vocation and bring out the best in someone?

This weekend whilst promoting my theatre school I began talking to a man who was promoting his own business next to me. Whilst talking he quickly explained that he had completed a BA (Hons) in Acting for Screen, and then very quickly into working as a practitioner 'gave up' in this chosen field and was now working in wildlife. I was compelled to ask why he had not further pursued acting for screen. He explained that the nature of the industry made him feel like a failure due to consistent rejection which had a negative effect on his mental health.

It's interesting to hear different opinions on an industry that I trained in and strongly advocate. Hearing these people's stories and opinions has further broadened my understanding of ethical considerations and how to research effectively into a subject or topic to further. It has allowed me to appreciate that there are different opinions and challenge my own within the arts, appreciating that varying personalities deal with their experiences in different ways. I believe this to be a beneficial process that I can take with me into the remainder of this course.






Bibliography:

The Stage. 2018. Ofsted chief: 'Arts courses offer unrealistic career prospects for young people' | Carousel, News | The Stage. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/ofsted-chief-arts-unrealistic-career-prospects/. [Accessed 25 November 2018].

Comments

  1. I think the key word is nuture. A practice that is continuously nutured will evolve into something successful, be it within your originally chosen field or not. The meaning of success is different to everyone. I personally feel that I wasn't the most successful dancer as I do not have the west end credits or the performance history of some of my college associates. However now as a dance teacher, I can measure my success through the achievments of my students. I work with fellow teachers who studied on arts course but now want to be dance therapists, which is currently an expanding practice. I love how this course has broadened my understanding also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting post as I have been out of drama school for 2 years now and most of my fellow graduates have 'quit' the industry already. Those who have quit have done so due to the fact that their agents aren't getting them any audition opportunities or feeling like a failure when not getting recalls or booking jobs. However most have gone on to pursue a career or opportunity that interests them and that they are willing to put the time into and are not too upset by any setbacks due to their love and passion for it. Therefore I agree with Charlie- I believe that emphasis of success should not be put on how many gigs you've booked; but if you are pursuing something you are passionate about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts