Embodiment

It was great to join an open Skype discussion a few days ago led by Helen Kindred where all were able to discuss any questions they had and hear other's thoughts on specific things we were tackling and thinking about within our individual place on the programme.

Following the discussion, I was left with the urge to look further into the theory of embodiment, a topic that was highlighted. Helen explained that the BAPP ACI programme is geared very much towards using this theory as a way of articulating and contextualising our professional practice, as well as 'communicating, using something other than words'. 

embodiment

'a tangible or visible form of an idea, quality, or feeling.' (Oxford Dictionaries, 2018)

This is a theory I have noticed is something I do within my practice continuously. Dance is a visible form of expression, Singing is a visible form of expression, Acting is a visible form of expression and teaching is a visible form the majority of the time. Within my practice I use visible resources regularly to convey an idea with the hope that the students uses this as a stimulus, often to create a feeling or opinion on the presented material. 

Over the past three weeks I have watched a number of varying performances executed by the students at my establishment. It is interesting to reflect back on these performances, removing the notion that they are being used as assessment opportunities to study technical progression and understanding of intention, but merely to analyse and evaluate how they made me feel. Did the visible work portray an idea, quality or feeling?

Personally, I believe successful theatre is primarily when the theory of embodiment is established. When a piece of theatre promotes you to question or think further into an idea, appreciate the quality of the work presented and connect to a feeling or emotion that is being portrayed, that is when true connection and appreciation is made. I recently saw the west end production of 'Hamilton' the musical and was empowered by how it moved me. The idea of visual work stimulating inspiration through the story of Alexander Hamilton connected with me and led to further research into the idea of Hamilton himself, analysing the quality of the work being produced and moved me through a variety of emotional connections.

Within this programme, I can see a strong relationship between the theory of embodiment and the diagram that we have been asked to create as part of module one. Creating a visible form of or practice including elements that challenge and depict idea, quality and feeling. I am now challenging my thoughts on different forms of embodiment and how I can present this in a way that not only best represents my practice, but also allows for me to clearly show the connections and links within the influences and inspirations. I am now working on developing my initial diagram and thinking of elements within my professional practice that can help me explore a way of representing this same diagram in a three dimensional format that clearly depicts the theory of embodiment.




Bibliography;

Oxford Dictionaries | English. 2018. embodiment | Definition of embodiment in English by Oxford Dictionaries. [ONLINE] Available at: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/embodiment. [Accessed 29 November 2018].

Comments

  1. Hi Andrew, I revisited this blog today after a uni campus session. I feel I want to explore the idea of embodiment more as I start to devise choreography for my artefact in module 3. Charlie S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts