Stepping back to view my topic

As I started Module Two I had a few ideas of where I would like my inquiry to go which I have been able to explore and successfully identify an area I feel would be suitable to discuss.

I am currently looking into gender within the performing arts and how/if we offer equality both in practice and through teaching within this. My idea grew from discussion and discourse at my establishment into 'gender swapping' in theatre. Composer Stephen Sondheim recently revived his musical 'Company' in the West End and adopted the motion of gender swapping, changing the gender of five of its characters from when it was originally presented in 1970. This led to discussion on how this decision has made the production more inclusive, but also how we promote gender equality of casting within our teaching practice.

I have spent the past few weeks gathering literature, exploring methods of research and discussing the idea with my colleagues who have been extremely helpful with their thoughts. All these thoughts led me to take a number of steps back away from the idea of 'gender swapping' and look more at equality of gender within the arts.

It expands to the ratio of genders within theatre arts training and whether there is equality to areas such as audition, scholarship and funding options to all genders, and whether this same notion progresses forward into employment within the arts including pay. 

I aim to explore the idea of gender equality in theatre and arts education through experiential learning and workshopping. I would like to workshop a piece of performance work that breaks the boundaries of stereotypical genders and see where this takes my research

I am interested in hearing others experiences and thoughts on equality of gender in arts. Are specific genders favoured over others? What experiences have others encountered to offer inclusivity of genders? Is there more people feel we could be doing during training to promote equality of gender?


Image source; www.alliancenet.org/christward/take-a-step-back-in-suffering#.XHLMaHd2vZs

Comments

Popular Posts