Try Something New

Over the past week I have explored further into methods of reflection, and incorporated it with the task of trying something new by contributing to the Web 2.0 platforms suggested in the module one handbook.

I chose to explore contribution the platform 'Flickr', an image and video hosting service. I chose this platform as it was something that I felt excited by using due to its use of images. So far I have used a lot of contextualising and research through reading to assist me in my development of establishing my professional practice, and I was excited to explore the use of images as a stimulus within my reflection.
Through new use of the blogs and Skype within my study I approached the use of a new Web 2.0 platform with a strong confidence. I decided specifically to explore the posting of images and the process of working with this application really challenged my thoughts and ways conveying discovery of professional practice through visuals as a pose to text.

Whilst reading through 'A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning' by Jennifer A. Moon, I was particularly interested in the theory of feelings and their involvement in the learning process. Moon comments that "there are times, however, when the identity of the processes become clearer, for example when feelings are overwhelming and block learning" (Moon, 2004, p.54). This resonated and made me think about how our emotions have an effect on our professional practice through feelings such as passion and love for what we do, but also in ways through frustration or disappointment and how either emotions can possibly block or progress learning and understanding.

This inspired me to explore this discussion further using my own reflection portrayed through my new found exploration of 'Flickr'. My task for myself was to take an image every morning that I felt reflected my generalised feelings for that morning. Throughout the day I have been making personal journal entries to track my learning and document any specific ideas or discoveries that I feel help establish my practice. At the end of each day my task was to look at my journal and reflect on whether I felt my feelings or views of the day were effected by my initial mood taken from the image in the morning, or to see if I could notice any connection between them. As the week progressed it was also interesting to view the day to day feelings I had in relation to my journals, and to notice that the feelings not only had an effect on how I reflected on that specific day, but also the actions encountered throughout the week and the arc of my successes and obstacles were all visible through both my images and notes.

The process taught me more about different ways that we can present and discuss information and the benefits of looking at things through different approaches, like that of a new Web 2.0 platform and how its mechanics and intention can allow us to learn. The uploading of all the images made me reflect at the end of the week on why I chose each image and what those images meant to me in that specific moment when taking them. The removal of the option of text in reflection made me think further into what represented my thoughts correctly, echoing how during the first module we endeavour to look at our practice through different lenses and approaches to learn more about ourselves and discover new information in a way that is more challenging and thought provoking.

Flickr account - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128886080@N05/



Bibliography;
Jennifer A. Moon. (2004). A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning. RoutledgeFalmer



Comments

  1. A great post. I can really relate to using images, I often struggle to find exactly what to write although I know what I want to say. This then has an emotional effect leading to frustration. I really do sometimes block my own learning due to feelings of being overwhelmed. Your posts often help give me clarity. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts