Who Am I Anyway?

Over the past few days I have tackled one of the tasks from the module one handbook to review my own CV and re write this as a professional profile. Through doing this I discovered a lot about my development, and noticed links between this and another task, presentation of self.

Over recent years I have had to review my CV and its layout to match the work that I have been putting myself forward for, mainly changing from highlighting my professional performance work to focusing on teaching experiences and qualifications as I transitioned more in to performing arts education as a line of work. When reviewing my most recent CV, my main focus was to highlight the areas of education I have worked in and the different responsibilities I have had as a performer that relate to my topic of teaching, whilst ensuring that the focus on my performance past was respected but not the fore front to ensure it reflected my current commitment to education and teaching.

This contrasted greatly to a previous CV that I found from 2014 where my focus was on my performance career and the complete opposite of my most recent CV. With my older CV there was little to no mentioning of my teaching experience as it was not necessary for the type of employment that my agent was putting me forward for.

This contrast in the layout and content of my CV got me thinking about my presentation of self; how we put ourselves forward. Does the package we put ourselves forward as have an impact on how we are perceived? My performance CV was packaged with a headshot that was seen as essential to my practice at that time, whereas a photograph of myself is now not a necessary requirement and may give a different perception of myself if I were to send it and it be unnecessary.

From recent reading of 'A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning' and reflecting on the development of my practice I began to see my CV and how it has evolved through my experiences, and I am learning which parts of my CV are important to present myself in the best possible light at which times of my life, and which areas of my journey are not necessarily as important at specific moments.

Though these amendments over the years have helped me in gaining employment, writing my CV as a Professional Profile really showed me how all the experiences we have in whatever we do help shape us and can be transferrable towards our current professional practice. My profile reads more like a timeline and every element that is written has an importance to the next part of my journey, interlinking at times to gain a better understanding of myself and my professional practice.

I see my professional profile as something that will evolve during my journey on the course and through exploration of my practice and values. Though the content of how we present ourselves at specific times may be selective, our full experience shapes our journey and who we are.

Bibliography:
Jennifer A. Moon. (2004). A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning. RoutledgeFalmer








Comments

  1. A great read. I too recently tackled my CV and had the same findings. It's made me start looking deeper into the everyday things I do, focusing on where I want to be opposed to what I have previously done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts